What is National Fruitcake Day?
Celebrate #NationalFruitcakeDay With Us December 27th!
When Is National Fruitcake Day?
In the United States, fruitcake lovers of all ages observe National Fruitcake Day each year on December 27. This year is no different, as we see the hashtag #NationalFruitcakeDay trending on Twitter. While the hashtag has taken on a life of its own for users around the world, in Texas and other parts of the world, this holiday is all about the DeLuxe® Fruitcake from Collin Street Bakery.
How Will You Celebrate This Year For National Fruitcake Day?
What Is Fruitcake?
Fruitcake was invented out of necessity in the days before refrigeration. In those days, coveted fruits that had been preserved from the summer harvest were combined with nuts from the fall harvest and baked into a dense cake that could be kept in the cellar for long periods of time.
These cakes were then brought out in the dead of winter and were a welcome celebration of nature's bounty during a time when things were scarce. The celebratory nature of these cakes made them a natural Thanksgiving and Christmas treat.
What Is Special About The DeLuxe® Fruitcake?
Our world-famous DeLuxe® Fruitcake has been a favorite since 1896 — closely following our founder’s original recipe he brought over from his home country of Wiesbaden, Germany. Here are some facts about the Collin Street Bakery's world-famous DeLuxe® Fruitcake:
- Each fruitcake is the perfect balance of native pecans (almost a third of the cake), shelled right here in Corsicana, Texas.
- Hand-picked golden sweet pineapple and lush papaya, from our very own farms in Costa Rica.
- Ripe, red cherries from Michigan and the Pacific Northwest.
- Pure, locally-harvested clover honey.
- Plump golden raisins from California.
- Refrigerated, the DeLuxe® stays moist and delicious for months.
- Legend has it the Deluxe® was taken up in space on one of the Apollo Space missions.
- If you ever watch the movie "The Godfather", you can see one of our Deluxe® tins on the kitchen counter behind James Caan's character, "Sonny", in the scene just before he is killed by the Mob. The set designer used it for its look and feel of Americana.
Want To Learn Why Fruitcake Is Our Holiday Tradition?
Where Can I Get the DeLuxe® Fruitcake?
Whether you are ordering domestic or international, the ordering process could not be more simple. Shop our specials online or submit an order form by mail or fax. Or call us toll-free at 1-800-292-7400. If you would like to enjoy and share this classic holiday tradition...